- 20% of all revenues in the music industry come via digital (source: PWC Global Entertainment and Media Report.
- Interesting (and intelligent) quote: “ A big album worldwide will sell about seven million units but many more people will enjoy the album. This is about lighting up all these other consumers.” - Rob Wells, Senior Vice President, Digital, Universal Music Group International.
- 95% of music is still being downloaded in an illegal fashion.
- The US accounts for 50% of the global digital music category (go iTunes).
- The #1 one downloaded single in 2008 was Lollipop, by Lil Wayne. He sold 9.1MM units.
- Most industry execs foresee the growth of digital music tied to mobile platforms. I agree.
- iTunes has sold more than 6 billion songs since launch.
- 20-30% of MySpace traffic was driven to unique music destinations in the platform in 2007, and probably higher in 2008.
- There are more than 1.8MM rock acts on MySpace Music, and more than 2.5MM hip hop acts.
That's just a summary. Lot's more to read.