Monday, May 19, 2008

Shouldn't We Sweat The Small Stuff?

I was re-re-reading this book recently and something resonated in my head. In sales and marketing “you HAVE to sweat the small stuff”. The small stuff, are the details and as they also say, the “devil’s in the details”. The details are what we need to pay attention to. Trafficking creative. Detailing the CPM vs. flat fee vs. CPC. The flight dates for the campaign are from 4/1 to 5/1, but you only want to run Thursday, Friday and Saturday. These are the sorts of details that can get missed in the fast and furious world that we live in and these are the types of things that get us in trouble!

This is extremely difficult for me as I am very much a 10,000 foot guy! I am horrible with details, just ask my fiancé. She’ll tell you so!! That being said, I also find that when I can take a moment to sit down and relax, the details are a little easier to manage, which funny enough is the actual message of that book in the first place. Maybe that’s why I have to re-re-read this book so many times!!

Well – I guess the point today is to be sure that you are sweating the details (the small stuff). If you are a sales person, be sure to make the extra call to the client and confirm what you think is the buy. If you are a planner, be sure to call the client and review the details. If you are a manager, don’t be afraid to ask questions of the people in your office. You never look dumb asking questions. You only look dumb when you gloss them by!

No comments: