Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It’s the Wiki-Wiki-Round Up!

The Round-Up Volume 1, Issue 5

Just imagine that sound from a DJ scratching and that’s what this edition of the Round Up sounds like! It’s us providing you with some of the basics, some of the fundamentals. It’s us telling you enough information so you can just barely scratch the surface of what’s new and cool and innovative in the online world! This is a short week since I’m taking a day or two off this week in preparation for the much longer and much needed weekend, but I didn’t want to leave you without the Round-Up since I know it’s something you look forward to each and every-other week! So without further ado, let’s jump into it!!

MENTO.INFO (http://www.mento.info/): We came across Mento this week as another way of saving and sharing links with your network. This is a really hot category and has been for many years, but there are rarely services that do a good job while maintaining an efficient user interface. It seems these guys might have done it right, so check it out and start sharing!

ZTAIL (http://www.ztail.com/): I’m a fan of comparison shopping guides and used to use MySimon quite a bit, but now that I found ZTail, my search is over! Think eBay meets your favorite shopping engine but add in the service of the market telling you the price you should be charging or paying. The coolest element is that it will tell you what to charge for your goods, allowing you to enter the marketplace at the correct spot. Plus - get this - they have a monkey on the homepage! I like Monkeys and I like ZTail.

SNIPSHOT (http://snipshot.com/): Ever wish you could edit a photo and take out the red-eye or that glare from the sun or the person standing next to you in the photograph? Then SnipShot is for you. It’s not new – editing photos online has been around a couple of years now – but I think it’s the easiest of the services I’ve seen. Check them out and play with some photos.

MOFUSE (http://www.mofuse.com/): MoFuse makes it possible to mob-ify (yes – it is now a word) or as they refer t it, mobilize, your blog in seconds. If you have a blog, you type in the URL and it spits out a mobile version optimized for WAP or iPhone in seconds. It’s very cool and I’m foreseeing this catch on really quickly. Go there and type your blog in, then paste the code on your HTML so it can be sniffed and show the correct version to your readers!

TELANETIX (http://www.telanetix.com/): I know it’s not a site per se, but I was in a meeting last week and I saw the Telanetix system in place and it’s really cool and really not expensive when compared to other video conferencing systems that I’ve seen. It’s web-based and you don’t need a whole lot of crazy technology to make it work, plus there are no buffers and none of the usual delays that come with standard video conference systems. I don’t know about you, but I am looking into it.

JAMSBIO (http://www.jamsbio.com/): Social Networking can be a little silly sometimes, but one of the “ties that bind” has always been music and JamsBio allows you to write a story and share it with the world about the various moments in your life and the music that is indelibly tied to them. It’s a great way to express yourself plus the site is clean, well organized and very interesting! For the music fan inside of you, it’s worth a little time.

That’s all for now folks! I hope you’re enjoying these Round-Ups and I hope you’re finding more and more new companies and technologies to check out. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find ways to work with these new companies and demonstrate your support for emerging media!

Have fun!!

No comments: